Hi all,

I'm trying to understand how the MusicIP integration in
SqueezeboxServer
works. I have been trying to set it up a year ago and it looked
somewhat
complicated and "hacky" to me, so I didn't follow that route anymore
until a few days ago when I finally decided to give it a go anyway. My
first impressions are somewhat mixed. When it works, it produces
interesting
mixes. However, as I already suspected a year ago, it seems very
fragile
and in some places very obscure.

I'd like to give a few examples, perhaps I'm missing something or have
not really set it up correctly.

First of all, I'm using SqueezeboxServer on a Debian GNU/Linux box
with
the nightly beta builds of the current release version. Therefore I'm
using MusicIP 1.8 and not the later 1.9b which is not available for
GNU/Linux. Therefore I also abstained from using genpuid as version
1.4
requires the later MusicIP version (I haven't tried mixing the mipcore
binaries yet). Additionally I'm using spicefly's modified index.html
file.

Ok, so now to my experiences. I configured MusicIP in the
SqueezeboxServer
software like explained in many places. I added the path to my music
library to the MusicMagic Server. After the initial scan/validation I
got the following statistics:

Total songs 4,767
Mixable songs   2,034
Songs to validate   4,767

It needed a second run in order to get at:

In needed a second
Total songs 4,767
Mixable songs   4,763
Songs to validate   0

This is the first thing which puzzled me. Why are some songs not
picked
up the first time? Why are there even some songs not picked up the
second time? But the second one seems to be a fixed point, further
rescans do not change the statistics anymore. There are four songs
which
do not seem to be mixable (for whatever reason, I don't even know the
songs).

Ok, the next thing which puzzles me is the fact, that UTF-8 encoded
tags are not displayed properly (although they are when not using
MusicIP integration). But I think this is a known issue with MusicIP.

And the third thing which irritates me is the fact, that some songs
do not even show up when browsing my library with MusicIP. Sometimes
they show up (but without cover image) and when trying to play, I get
some message saying that the song cannot be played. But the songs in
question are present and are not corrupted. So it seems to me that
the MusicIP database gets corrupted or something like that.

Now I'd like to ask whether others have the same experience with
MusicIP
or whether I have something not set up completely correctly. If this
is
how MusicIP works, then I'm most likely not going to use it any
further.
I do not feel the functionality it provides (yes, the mixes are
working
and quite interesting) worth the issues on the negative side (UTF-8
not
working correctly and songs vanishing from the library or not being
able to play them).

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments!

--
sbellon