A while back I noticed that sometimes I didn't get the option to rate a song.
I think I've figured it out now.

If a song has previously been played, then navigating into the song info page
will display the Rating item (if not rated with be "unrated").

If the currently playing song is being played for the first time, or navigating
to a song that has never been played, the Song Info "Rating" item doesn't
appear, so it is not possible to choose the rating for the song from the menu
(although IR Remote can always be used to rate songs).

Phil