jameswendt;545464 Wrote:
> I wonder if Logitech would consider creating a more "retail" type
> software player they could either sell or use to push ads for the
> Squeezebox hardware?
I think that was the plan with SqueezePlay, and that was a sensible
plan, since it is basically a port of the software that runs the
hardware players themselves. That requires much less additional, or
tangential, development effort than something like SoftSqueeze. But
apparently even that is too much for the unit's strained development
resources, so they announced that they don't plan to make it
consumer-grade software. If it didn't happen with SP, I don't see it
happening with anything else real soon, unless a 3rd party does it.

Even though the software players are great tools for those who want to
try-before-buy, to some degree they do also canibalize hardware sales.
I would guess that on net SoftSqueeze generated more SB sales than it
replaced, but that's no more than a guess.

jameswendt;545464 Wrote:
> ...it seems that very few people are as enlightened as you and I.
ain't it the truth  ;o)

--
aubuti