>I know you mention in the first post that this works with Spotiy
>premium - can I double check it doesn't work with Spotify unlimited?

I'd like to know that too.  Spotify Premium is a whopping £10 a month, whereas
Spotify Unlimited is £5.

I predominantly listen to local music, rather than internet streaming, but if
the Squeezebox UI were to provide new ways of discovering new music through
Spotify, then I may be tempted with Unlimited.

https://www.spotify.com/uk/get-spotify/overview/

I wondered if a registration is required for streaming because of
advertisements.  Both Premium and Unlimited are add-free.

Premium is needed for the 320kbps streaming, though.