russelc;558073 Wrote:

> 3. Now the potential iPeng question. After installing the router
> desribed above in 2. I can no long WOL from iPeng (which I used to be
> able to do successfully). I have re-entered the MAC address since I
> reconnected to the new router but I just cannot get this to work. I
> would have assumed that this was another issue with the new router BUT
> the SB3 remote still successfully WOL's my m/c from both standby and
> hibernation.
>
> Given the above, my question is what does iPeng do differently from the
> SB3's remote wrt to WOL? Should I be thinking of reinstalling iPeng from
> scratch?

Actually I have no idea what the SB3 does (the IR remote does nothing),
but here's what iPeng does:

iPeng sends a WOL broadcast message on port 3483. While this is NOT the
most common port to use it needs to be open for server discovery anyway
so it's usually a good choice.
Your router needs to allow broadcasts on that port and it needs to
distribute them across the network. This usually is an issue if you
have a combined WiFi and ethernet network and you use a different
subnet range for the two, e.g. if WiFi is on 192.168.0.x and ethernet
on 192.168.1.x while the respective subnet masks are set to
255.255.255.0. While the router can route directed traffic in this
setup broadcasts will not get through.

flattermann;558090 Wrote:

> (Pippin, please correct me if I'm wrong :-) )

You are correct. So far, updates on the App Store are generally free.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote, at penguinlovesmusic.com