Depending on what you are doing, and what your SBS settings are, SBS
will sometimes play a song, or play all songs on an album.

There is an option in the Player settings called "Play Other Songs In
Album" to either play a single song, or play all songs on album.

I think that if you touch a track, it plays it (and if the setting is
enabled to play all tracks on an album, the whole album is played, but
starts playback from the track you touched).  However, if you
long-touch the track, the context-menu play action will play just the
song.

The Add action always adds only the thing you selected.

Not sure about the embedded SBS within Touch; I don't think you can
configure this option.

You might like to try my Playlist Manager plugin (available for full
SBS).  You should be able to install it in Settings > Plugins; it's a
recommended third-party plugin.

This allows you to add a song or album easily to any arbitrary playlist
(not just the current playlist).  This can be done from the current
playlist or when browsing anywhere in the music library.

More information here: http://www.hergest.demon.co.uk/Music/music.shtml

--
Philip Meyer