bluegaspode;579832 Wrote:
> Maybe Logitech takes the chance of a press release.
>
> Underlining the openness of the platform, the huge positive impact this
> has on extending your system.
> This includes third party plugins as well as a nice selection of
> iPhone/iPad/Android Apps (even if payed) for much less than a Sonos
> system.
>
> "Logitech market leader in affordable music streaming solutions today
> announces the availability of x iPhone/iPad Apps. The user can choose
> which design fits him best and is not bound to design decisions of
> single developers or the company ... bla bla"
>
> I'm no marketing guy - but with this snippet as an idea one could write
> a big good sounding press release as an answer to Sonos.

This would be great but unfortunately I suspect there isn't anyone
within Logitech marketing/management that sees the potential with third
party stuff. They have this great asset in an active third party
community and they don't show much interest to keep it active.

The Logitech developers cares a lot and probably also MickeyG but
besides that I have barely seen any indication that anyone else cares
since Sean/Dean left the company.

It's not about money because they could do a lot to encourage third
party contributions without spending a lot of money, they would even
benefit from it themselves by selling more hardware and also make it
more interesting for third parties to contribute. I'm pretty sure the
problem is that they haven't understood the potential with third party
stuff. Remember that before the Slim Devices purchase Logitech wasn't
really used to working with third party developers/contributors. Back
then I thought the purchase was strategic and a main reason was the
community based development model, but I'm not so sure anymore.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))