Hi bpa, hi all,

I'm trying for some time now to get WaveInput working on my Debian
GNU/Linux installation. Generally I would call myself a GNU/Linux
expert, but this ALSA stuff is really confusing me.

More and more I think that my two sound cards I can choose from do not
support recording playback. Am I right in assuming that a "Mix" control
should be present and if it isn't, it is not possible?

Am I right that I should be able to "aplay" something and "arecord" it
at the same time with the same user?

The builtin sound card uses HDA Intel driver and lspci shows:

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan HDMI Audio
[Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]

The external sound card I used for testing is an Edirol UA-25.

Both do not present me with a "Mix" control and I seem unable to record
what is being played at the same time (not even thinking about
Squeezeboxserver right now).

Any help to set up or to verify that my hardware is not able to do it,
would be nice.

Greetings,
Stefan

--