Thanks, that makes sense.  Sounds like it's not an easy problem to solve
unless iOS is changed - or squeezecast is rolled into something like
iPeng.

I'm deducing that FLAC is being played natively - I have no way of know
for certain.  My server is not set to transcode for the player, so that
rules that out.  That leaves trascoding on the iPod by squeezecast.
It's possible, but if it is capable of trascoding to mp3, why not
decode it and play the lossless data?

Also, the playback is perfectly gapless.  Any FLAC-mp3 transcoding
setups that I've used (including squeezecenter) introduce gaps.

If the squeezecast developer is reading this, perhaps they can confirm
this.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod
Touch.  SuSE 11.0 Server running SqueezeBoxServer 7.5.0, MusicIP, and
SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 33,696 songs, 2,720 albums, 499 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior