azaz44;598342 Wrote:

> Question 1:
> iPeng has a great UI to do this already, and it actually uses it to
> display first title letter sometimes. Not sure what it depends on. I
> get it in one particular menu, but on one of my servers. On the other
> one I don't get it somehow. Both are SBS 7.5.1. See Screenshot.

It depends on two things:
The menu needs to have enough items (at least 50, I believe) and it
needs to be alphabetically sorted.

> So, what I want is I want to control these things and put my strings
> there.
> Is it supported or any chance to have it?

It's not supported, yet. We'd have to define some protocol for sorting
categories.
Could you file a bug at bugs.slimdevices.com and link here, I don't
think this should be strictly iPeng specific.

> Question 2:
> -----------
> I can use '\n' in menu item->{title}. Then iPeng will show two lines,
> one black, one gray. This looks great and allows me to put more
> information. But SqueezePlay will display two normal lines and it looks
> shit.
>
> Any way to have a separate title for iPeng, so I leave SqueezePlay with
> one line and add extra support for iPeng?
> (Or mayby it is better to go with menu style 'album'?).

iPeng sends a parameter "userInterfaceIdiom:iPeng", maybe you can use
that to detect whether you are generating a menu for iPeng or SP.

> Question 3 :)
> I added some regular SBS icons in some menu items. They display fine,
> like in SqueezePlay, but I think it would be better if they would be
> smaller. The original image is 512x512 and it is resized by iPeng (or
> server?). Any way to set the icon size?

It's resized by the server.
There is no way to change the size, you could see whether it helps to
use the menuIcon tag, maybe it takes precedence and maybe it's shown
smaller(don't know right now).

> Question 4 :)
> I have the main icon for the plugin, which is B/W with alpha, as you
> see on the screenshot. It is small, about 40x30 or sth. like this. So
> small size. But it takes time to load in iPeng (like 30 seconds), and
> sometimes doesn't load at all. What could be wrong?
It needs to load it from the server first and since iPeng is usually
it's your icon's turn.
I have seen, too, that it sometimes doesn't show up but I have not
found out why that is, then.

azaz44;598366 Wrote:
> Hmm, I'm afraid I have more questions. All of them to make iPeng even
> better

Indeed
I appreciate this, seriously!

> Question 5
> ----------
> Any way to get the functionality, which is marked at the screenshot, in
> iPeng? This comes from "window -> help". I consider using it to display
> information / help about the menu which is just displayed, but it
> doesn't make sense if iPeng will not display it.

Do you know how that looks in the protocol? Any example where I can get
this? So far I thought this is strictly client side.

> Question 6 / bug
> -----------------
> I'm not sure if this was ever reported.
> Then you click on another item, but iPeng makes action (ie. goes to
> submenu) on the item which was previously selected (the one used to
> open a context menu).
> Just wondering if you know about the problem. If it's new, I can look
> for ways to reproduce and fill some report..

I don't think it was reported but I know about it.
Actually I thought I had fixed it, but it was maybe only on iPad. It
has to do with the way the "hold" gesture is detected, iPeng is still
backward compatible with iOS 3 which doesn't have gesture recognizers
so I have to use my own mechanism which has some drawbacks :D

> Question 7
> ----------
> Ok, this one's really crazy. But who knows, maybe iPeng has something
> :) Any possibility to display some entirely custom content, like a web
> page, or at least at image, somehow from the menus?

Will come in one of the next two releases. Next one is probably
playback only but the one after that will bring a lot of integration
stuff so this will be doable, then.

You can even now integrate content that will then open up in Safari by
adding "weblink => ...." tags to your menu and not defining any other
default actions (do or go).

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com