bpa;608031 Wrote:
> Correct - I don't agree with your diagrams possibly because of the
> terminology I would see it as

Code:
--------------------
  >   >
  > PC application-->ALSA -->arecord-->SBS--> Player --> speakers.
  > !
  > !--------------------------------> PC Speakers

--------------------

Thank you. Pictures are worth a thousand words! :-)

>  *arecord* is called from the Waveinput plugin.

I have */usr/bin/arecord*

> The message below are often because the "arecord" is failing either
> because the selected device is inaccessible, busy or calling process
> has not got permissions to access it.

P1630:~ # LS -L /USR/BIN/ARECORD
LRWXRWXRWX 1 ROOT ROOT 5 JAN 18 12:41 /USR/BIN/ARECORD -> APLAY

It appears that on OpenSuSE 11.3 *arecord* is merely a link to *aplay*.
It is also *root* owned, but its permissions are *rwxrwxrwx ("0777")*,
so should be able to be read, written, or executed by anyone, including
the user *andy* (me).

> Don't forget SBS normally runs as a separate user which is usually setup
> with no access to audio capabilities.

This issue is absolved by the 0777 permission above. Additionally,
*andy* is a member of the group *squeezeplayer*, so this should not be
a problem.

=====

Excellent!! Thank you again. We are making progress, at least in my
comprehension! :-)

So what appears to be *essential* is ***arecord***.

>From your diagram it appears that SBS (and WaveInput) look for
*arecord*.

I have */usr/bin/arecord* on my system.

-But I do not have- *arecordrc*

So do you know of any useful examples of *~/.arecordrc*?

And most importantly, what is the URL I must use: *wavin:???*

As mentioned before, I've googled, but only found generic forms, the
actual details of the *.arecordrc* and *wavin:URL* values elude me...

Thank you again, especially for the picture.. It is starting to make
sense.

Kind regards, Andy

--
alavarre1