I have tried something else which appears to have done the trick.  I set
the 'behaviour' to 'treat multi-disc sets as a single album'.  The order
for this album is now correct.

I don't know if there will be a knock-on effect in usability for other
types of album, but will see how it goes.  I have a lot of multi-disc
sets (with the Album Title the same on each disc).  I also have some
large multi-disc sets with several different album titles.

I'm still at a loss to see what happened to the sort order on the album
in question, and would like to know if it is deliberate that DISC for
titles is blank when = 1.

--
PasTim