I set it to use native AAC streams only ... still runs for a few
seconds, displays program title and then quits.  turning off live text
means it doesn't display the title but quits.

Use flash AAC counts for 5 to 6 seconds then stops as well

Use flash MP3 as the only setting works [but appears to be playing
Windows Media (??) - not sure I understand media protocols at all]

Sorry not to know - but what log should I be looking at (where will it
be Windows 7?)

I am in the UK by the way.

Are there ports associated with each of these protocols? Perhaps AAC
has never worked for my live streams and the change of preference in
the player just highlighted this (but presumably the new player didn't
fall back to flash MP3 any more?)

(again apologies for ignorance - I know quite a bit about networking in
general

What would be the preferred settings for UK play of BBC radio live and
listen again? (with a fairly powerful 64 bit CPU for rendering to SB3s
and SB Radio)?

Thanks for any information.

--
IanCHC