castalla;650096 Wrote:
> Perhaps the easiest is to start again with Can This Be Done?
>
> I want to suspend Server 1 using either WOSB or by selecting Sleep from
> the server menu.  At which point, I want the Touch to switch to Server
> 2.
>
> If this can be done, which settings do I need?
This cannot be done with Squeezebox Server and Server Power Control as
they stand now.  As the feature label suggests, only a *_shutdown_*
event can be captured by the -Push players to alternate server on
“external” shutdown- option.  That's because Squeezebox Server itself
is being stopped...and it lets Server Power Control know what's
happening.  An “external” suspend or hibernation does not stop
Squeezebox Server so Server Power Control never gets clued in and is
none the wiser in this situation.

Unfortunately, the kind of behavior you want to see is impossible given
the limitations of perl, the language that Squeezebox Server and Server
Power Control are written in.  The problem lies in the fact that perl
and the Win32 module that allows perl scripts to execute functions that
are a part of the Windows operating system...the problem lies in the
fact that no facility exists for perl scripts to monitor windows system
messages.  It's a windows system message, WM_POWERBROADCAST, that
informs an application that the system is about to enter into sleep or
hibernation.  Perl (and thus Squeezebox Server & Server Power Control)
are completely deaf to that message.

The only way around this would be if I wrote a separate utility in C
(the real language for windows development) that listened for
WM_POWERBROADCAST messages and then sent a request to SrvrPowerCtrl via
the CLI.  That's doable, but not a high priority for me right now.

--
gharris999