epoch1970;689891 Wrote:

> For what I've seen, when this happens, the cover art is not shown on
> the screensaver when you double-press the home button.
> When it does display, iPeng catches the incoming call it seems, and
> commands are responsive.

Yep. That means iPeng is not running anymore.
Either it has been in the background for more than one hour or you did
not enable the "keep connection" setting.

iPeng has to permanently run in the background to catch incoming phone
calls, no way around it. It costs battery.

Warning: read my last post above about a bug in the current
implementation

> I tend to think there is a bug where iPeng gets incapacitated somehow,
> but it doesn't die.

It's not a bug, it's a timeout to conserve battery.
Actually it's the expected behavior, chances are whenever Apple
realized what the "keep connection" option does they are asking me to
remove it altogether.

> When iPeng does not display the cover art, I have found that iPeng is
> still listed as a running app,

That's a common misunderstanding about how iOS works. The Apps in the
Task bar are NOT running Apps, it's just a list of the last Apps you've
used.
Almost all of them will usually be completely suspended (exceptions:
music Apps actually playing, VOIP Apps, location Apps). Out of the
suspended one, all but the last few will even be completely terminated
and thrown out of memory, depending on how much memory they require in
the background an how much memory foreground Apps need.

> yet when calling it with a touch of the icon, I've got the blue penguin
> load screen as if it were starting from scratch.

_That_ also doesn't mean anything. I haven't figured out when it comes
up and when it doesn't but it definitely even sometimes shows up when
the App was fully running in the background, e.g. when playing locally.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com