I have just made the leap from whs to linux - was waiting for WHS 2011
but have decided to jump in the linux direction instead. I am new to
linux but know windows/squeezebox/musicip generally well. I have
installed Amahi 64 bit on the old whs hardware - atom 330 mini ITX. I
have got squeeze server running fine and am working my way through the
muddy terrain that is linux slowly but surely - apart from a few issues
with MusicIP. MusicIP basically runs and is linked with squeezeserver.

I am happy with basic stuff like terminal and vi file editing - as long
as I know what to edit!

The problems are to do with saving the cache AND also starting MusicIP
before Squeezeserver (or even starting it at all automatically)

Problem 1. Sharing the cache between  my w64b machine (for analysis) and
the Amahi headless MusicIP.
The cache is located in the shared Music area on Amahi
(\var\hda\files\Music\Musicip_data\datab.m3lib). The Music files are in
\var\hda\files\Music\squeeze - all seen from windows machines as
\\hda\Music\squeeze

a) If I refresh using the gui (\hda:10002)I have to put the music folder
in as \var\hda\files\Music\squeeze. It finds the files correctly. If I
now bring up the MusicIP on windows machine - it can see the cache - but
says it cannot load it. Change all the permissions on the cache from
linux and it then loads it. BUT - the file paths in the database all
start \var\hda\files\Music\squeeze\..... etc so I cannot save any file
changes - such as analysis. If I do save the cache from the windows
machine - then the gui will show the 'reload cache' option - but will
fail to actually load it. If you restart the MusicIP service it will
fail to start - doesn't like the cache any more.

As I Import purely from MusicIP I suspect playlists in SC will be
nonsence as the paths will start \var\hda\files\Music\squeeze - haven't
tested this yet - just guessing.

b) If I refresh using the windows machine - then I cannot load the
changed cache from the GUI - same issue as above really

I need to find a way of refreshing the cache and analysing/saving files
that is consistent accross amahi and windows. I import sc playlists into
other apps so need them to have correct unc paths to music files. I have
tried permissions issues and owner etc on linux - but AFAIK that doesn't
seem to be the reason the GUI won't load the windows saved cache.

Problem 2. Running MusicIP at boot
I have created/moved mmserver file to /etc/int.d folder on Amahi. If I
terminal in as root I can successfully start/stop musicip  EG ./mmserver
start. I cannot see what to do to make this run automatically on boot
AND also ensure it starts before squeezeserver. It does not appear in
the gui services list.

Any help would be appreciated. I am starting to wonder if going back to
whs v1 might be less painful - really don't want to thoiugh!
Regards

Coppo