Just an update to an old thread to add my experiences:

I skipped 7.6 totally and reinstalled my entire operating system (Ubuntu
10.04LTS) on to a new small (but fast) SSD and installed LMS 7.7.2. All
other hardware remained untouched with music being stored on a separate
conventional HD.

My standard scans (full rescan) were previously taking 2 hours with a
further 12-13 hours for Custom Scans.

This has reduced to 45 minutes and less than 2 hours!

I don't know if this great improvement is down to the SSD, a clean
install of OS or the latest Custom Scan plugin but I'm very happy with
the result!