I seriously have no idea what could be causing this, especially since
the NowPlaying artwork is usually rather more reliable than the
thumbnails since only a single artwork has to be loaded at a time.
Also, the "empty case" is something the server sends as a replacement
for the cover instead of an artwork, if iPeng simply could not load the
artwork you would see a musical note on a dark background.

The server seems to feel incapable to send the artwork in the size iPeng
requests which is 960x960 pixels or whatever smaller size the original
artwork had, so even issues with the scaler can't really be related, the
server would just have to send the original image. Not that I would have
thought it's the scaler because in that case you would have problems
with the thumbnails, too.

I know there have been issues with the server sending images in that
format but that's definitely fixed in 7.7.2 and even 7.7.1, I believe it
was only a 7.7.0 beta that was affected.

Also, neither I nor anybody else seems to have seen this so far, I'm
afraid as long as I can't get access to your server I have no idea what
to do.