Okay disabling FLAC on LMS seems to have done the trick both MP3 and PCM
are streaming fine albeit with a 30 second delay to the source.

Moving to a 54g wireless network PCM drops out regularly which is to be
expected, MP3 seems to be okay with the odd drop out.

Oddly none of the processes seem to be using much CPU cycles according
to TOP. I now have a working setup, thanks.

Is there anyway to reduce the delay between the speakers and the source?
I suspect this is somewhat related to the round trip time but any
further ideas for tweaks are welcome.