The main problem I have found with WOL in ML is that OSX goes back to
sleep after 30 sec unless some application sets a power assertion to
prevent it. The attempts to use ReallyPreventStandby I proposed earlier
in this thread, and also the new version of PreventStandby in the
current 7.8 nightlies, do not reliably get in fast enough to set the
power assertion before that timeout.

I've been thinking about this a little more. The problem I'm seeing here is that we're deliberately _ignoring_ the first activity event in LMS after a resume, because a resume will _always_ trigger some activity, whether a SB caused the resume or not. Now by the time _real_ activity happens, the OS has sent the computer back to sleep. We did introduce this way, as otherwise LMS would have kept the computer running even if it wasn't being used.

Now what I'd suggest to try next is this: we keep the system alive no matter what. But if we were to discover a resume event, we wouldn't leave it running for our whole idle time, but only a minute or two. By then LMS would have seen some real activity to keep the system alive if needed. Otherwise we would no longer keep it awake for all our idle time, but only a few minutes. Makes sense?

--

Michael