As I started this thread I should report that I still have not found a
way to make iTunes Update work with versions of LMS after 7.5.6.  I have
now taken the decision to update LMS anyway and stop using iTunes
Update. I now use Trackstat/Custom Scan to export a text log file and
then use an AppleScript to update iTunes. Although this is less
convenient in some ways, it does have the advantage that iTunes does not
have to be running all the time on my server which seems to help things
run more smoothly. Play counts, ratings and last played dates can be
updated in this way, but track skipped information cannot as Trackstat
does not record these.

Credit for the original AppleScript should go to another poster on these
forums... I will post a link when I track it down again myself.