What is all this exporting business?  Since installing Smart Mix, I do
see that there's a new "Exporting" process that goes on during each
scan.  Do I need to do anything in addition to what happens during an
incremental or full scan?

No. As you said the export happens as part of the scan.

The plugin does export some metadata of your music collection (most importantly track/artist names) to TEN. Only this way it is possible to create mixes using your local tracks only, or mixes influenced by what you have in your collection.

--

Michael