I can play from the BBC website in Firefox and IE, it doesn't work in
Chrome. I can't tell what type of stream I'm playing though.

I can't play the URL in foobar or VLC, foobar gives me the error:

Unable to open item for playback (File Not Found (404)):
"http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_6music_p?s=1382249619&e=1382264019&h=5aded9a1faa809eec2718c79abee6601";

Unable to open item for playback (File Not Found (404)):
"http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_6music_q?s=1382249619&e=1382264019&h=d4948bd8b997730d6159021e13bf2abe";

If I set up a VPN with a London based connection I can play the URL fine
in foobar and it shows as ~128k aac.

I am in the UK but I'm only with a small ISP. Could it be related to
this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100194-Tunein-BBC-national-channels

Could the BBC have changed something that makes them think I'm not in
the UK?

Richard