[HOW TO] Squeezelite player on Windows 8 step by step

This is my first step by step, written to help non-techy people to setup
squeezelite player (all kudos to Triode for this great little friend of
our Squeezebox environment).
Prequisitions:
I.      You have LMS already installed (either on the same machine or
separate)
II.     This tutorial is based on Windows 8 environment
III.    You have basic knowledge about Squeezebox and LMS behavior

1.      Download squeezelite for windows from here
https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list

2.      Unzip it squeezelite-win.zip to your final destination for example
native Windows download folder. If you want you can rename this folder
to “Squeezelite” and squeezelite-win.exe to squeezelite.exe as well (not
mandatory).

3.      Do not try to run squeezelite-win.exe stored in your unzipped folder.
You need to run it via cmd.exe (command line). I’ll show you how in next
steps.

4.      To add mp3 playback support, install either libmad-0.dll or
libmpg123-0.dll in the same directory as this file. Suggested by Triode
source:
- download http://www.mpg123.de/download/win32/mpg123-1.14.4-x86.zip
from MPG123
- extract mpg123-1.14.4-x86/libmpg123-0.dll into this directory (the
file is approx ~282k when extracted).

Now your Squeezelite folder should look like this:

15558

5.      In the address toolbar write “cmd” (without quotes) and press enter

15559

6.      Now Command Line should open

15560

7.      Your first step now will be to determine your audio output. In the
command line write:
-squeezebox-win.exe –l-
TIP: if you want to copy commands and paste into command line dialog box
just use your mouse: copy desired text and using your mouse right button
choose from context menu “Paste”.

This will list all your audio outputs and should look like this:

15561

8.      Ok, now very important thing – we have to determine what audio output
is your “squeezelite audio output”. Write down the numbers of your audio
outputs; we’ll need it later.
TIP: If you are going to use  external DAC, especially USB DAC you have
to connect it BEFORE running –l command for listing your audio outputs.

9.      The easiest way to find out which output to choose is to follow these
steps:

9a. Run your Logitech Media Server and if you have another Squeezebox
player play any music. This will tell us that we have audio signal
coming from your LMS. Now go to next step.

10.     Now you should understand basic squeezelite commands (all without
quotes!!!):
“-o” – this command tells squeezelite what audio output to choose
“-n” – after this command you can specify name of your squeezelite
player
“-s” – this is command for telling your squeezelite player what’s your
LMS ip
11.     Now we’ll write command to start squeezelite:
squeezelite-win.exe -o 7 -n SqueezeliteWIN -s 192.168.0.122
where:
“7” is my audio output (in my case these are speakers connected to
headphones output)
“SqueezeliteWIN” is my squeezelite player name
“192.168.0.122” is my LMS IP address
12.     After running this command go back to LMS, best way is to open it
via web browser. Now you should see your newly started squeezelite
player.

15562

Now you should sync your squeezebox players.
If you can hear music form both of your players – good for you.
No? Don’t panic. You have to choose different audio output.
Close the command line dialog box, and open it again (just like in the
step 5).
Now type (or paste) this command:
-squeezelite-win.exe -o 7 -n SqueezeliteWIN -s 192.168.0.122-
but now change the audio output number after “-o” command. Repeat, until
you here music from your squeezelte player.

|Filename: LMS.JPG                                                  |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15562|