Until recently BBC iPlayer worked fine on my SB. But for the last few
days it rebuffers so often that the streams are unlistenable. I am
wondering how to find out the cause of the problem and how to cure it.

SB Classic, LMS 7.8 running on an iMac with OS 10.9.2. The only change I
am aware of is that I recently installed the latest security update. The
problems seem to have started after that. Also I had needed to shutdown
and restart my iMac a few times (no problems with the computer, but my
electric wiring  had some work done on it so the power was shut off).