If I Listen Again to BBC using WMA, I usually get a good stream. But if
I try the default settings (AAC > Flash AAC > FlashMP3 >WMA) I get lots
of rebuffing, and quite often the stream stops completely and I have to
start again from the beginning.

This wouldn't worry me, WMA is good enough for me, except that I gather
the WMA streams will be switched off shortly. I am in the UK.

I am not sure if the problem is with my connection to my ISP, or with my
local network. The latter is (and pretty much has to be, given the
position of my router and my computer) Powerline, rather than the more
common wired ethernet or wireless.

Any suggestions for solving or diagnosing the problem would be valuable.
I am using a 2011 MacBook Pro, running OS 10.9.5