PeterGV wrote:
> Bravo, *tcutting*.  You're further along than I am.  I've gotten the
> free developer key and managed to write a stand-alone perl program that
> displayed weather data.
>
> The only time I've ever coded in perl is in trying to fix this plug-in
> over the years.  It's not that much fun.  I can see how *plympton *could
> have been traumatized by the experience. :)
>
> I'm doing this on Windows, and this seems to increase the complexity. It
> seems that Perl isn't *really* installed with SqueezeServer on
> Windows... it's auto-packaged as part of the service (I *guess*).  That
> means no automatic installation of CPAN routines like you could do on a
> real perl installation -- You have to package all the modules you want
> to use as source code in the .PM file.  And then there's the issue of
> compatibility with a given version of perl.  Arrrgh.
>
> In the interest of sharing (I know *I* can use all the help I can get)
> from looking at the Greg's code, which is pretty well structured, and
> the Weather Underground API, I can share the following observations that
> may or may not be helpful:
> >   >   >
  - The number of forecast phrases (such as "partly cloudy") is
  > significantly smaller in the new API than it was on the previously
  > scraped page.
  - The new icon numbers do *not* correspond to the old icon
  > numbers... so the icons are going to need to be remapped.
  - One nice thing is that the API returns all the measurements in
  > both US and Metric... so no conversions are required anymore.  Yay!
  - It's not clear if the new icon set will work in place of the old,
  > due to the geometry of the new icons.
  - In using the WWW::Wunderground::API module from CPAN, issuing the
  -

> I'm going to try to build a PM file today containing source from
> WWW::Wunderground::API, Cache::Cache, and whatever prerequisites these
> require.
>
> I would **greatly** appreciate anybody working on this API to share
> their thoughts and findings (minus their API key :) ) -- I'm happy to
> do likewise.  For ME, the programming itself doesn't seem like it'll
> be the hard part (assuming use of the WWW::Wunderground::API
> module)... it's all the associated infrastructure around using perl as
> part of SqueezeServer on Windows.

I think I would want to find a way to map from the returned 'weather' to
Greg's icon numbers so his icons are used.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk