I have had this issue for ages. No problem when BBC iPlayer is set to
WMA only, but we are losing those streams soon.

Other settings always lose the program from time to time. Usually gives
me the message "rebuffierng 5%" but stops at 5% and shortly gives me a
message "Can't open file for ..."

I have a slightly complicated setup, and I haven't been able to work out
where the problem is. Because of location (router at one end of my flat,
computer at the other, SB in between) I use Devolo dLAN devices to
connect. So there could be a problem with my network, with my internet
connection, or with Talktalk. I've never been able to tell which. The
Devolo utility shows connection of the network, my router has the
relevant lights lit, but the Network Diagnostic Utility says there is no
connection to my ISP.

LMS 7.9, Mac OS 10.10.1