I'm surpised we've not heard from other Synology owners and as I was
thinking of purchasing a Synology NAS DS215j I've wondered about this
problem.

Bpa made reference to “synocommunity packages” in a previous post and
there is a “debian-chroot” package which might offer a solution for
armada based Synology devices.  See here:

https://synocommunity.com/package/debian-chroot

The various armada architectures are supported.  The idea is basically
to build a current version of ffmpeg on your Synology device in a debian
chroot.  Once done, simply copy the standalone ffmpeg binary to the
/usr/bin directory of your Synolgy and then delete the chroot, useless
you want to keep it.

I don't have Synolgy device, but have a Xpenology DSM 5.1 install in
virtualbox ( bromolow arch) and tried the “debian-chroot” idea and it
works.  If someone want's to try it on an Armada based Synology NAS then
I'll post the steps I followed.