I've been having a similar problem to the OP. I had checked that my
username/pw was correct, I had tested the connection from plugins >
Spotify > settings and that was all fine. I'm using a SB3 with my LMS
(7.9 nightly from today) on a laptop unning W10. I then ran through the
Windows Firewall troubleshooter for incoming connections and it
identified spotifyd.exe as the problem, which was that the firewall
wasn't allowing it through. Once I had clicked 'apply fix' on the
troubleshooter's dialogue the audio started coming through immediately
as I had already started playing it on my Squeezebox.

Awesome awesome awesome plugin Triode. It makes my Squeezebox so much
better. Once I had got my head around the Smartmix plugin it's almost
like having Music IP without all the faffing about. Thank you so much.