The deafening silence on this topic plainly indicated that I was the
only one on the planet with this particular podcast problem. Time for
further digging into my own system.

Firstly I dug out my "Travelling RasPi SB Server" and found that the BBC
podcast service worked perfectly. Forgive me Aunty for ever doubting
you.

Then I found that all the other SB Touch or RasPi players on my main
server also played BBC Podcasts just fine - the problem only existed on
my office RasPi player, where I mostly listen to these lower quality mp3
podcasts. I have to say that I have no idea how or why this particular
glitch came about or indeed how to remedy in a precision way. For now
I've merely stuck in a PiCorePlayer SD card and all is well. This
replaces the rather more ambitious player/proxy/vpn configuration which
had, until now, worked flawlessly. Perhaps time to relearn the lesson
that Black & Decker multi-tools seemed a nice idea at the time, but were
usually a failure.

So much to learn, so little time to do it.

Thanks to all for helping with your telling silence - seriously.