I have an iPad 2 running iOS 9 and it works but it's not too great.
I can't really compare it to 8, though, that device was my iOS 6 test
device for a long time and only ran on 8 for a few weeks. I didn't
really notice a performance difference between 8 and 9 but that might be
because the difference to 6 was so big it kind of hid that. Compared to
6 it's really, really slow now, yet it's still usable, other than, say,
an iPhone 4 with iOS 7 which is essentially a brick (or an audio player
in a dock) now...

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*