With an empty playlist, dragged & dropped a full album of flacs (maybe
12 tracks) to the playlist, after just 4 of the 12 tracks showed in the
right pane, a further 4 random tracks appeared (don't stop the music?),
then the rest of the album tracks were added.

Most likely a totally different issue: "don't stop the music" would kick in when there are less than X tracks left in the queue. As the d'n'd feature would add one track after the other (because it sometimes needs to upload them, taking some time to process), SmartMix only sees a single track, therefore starts mixing.

That's an issue I'll have to address somehow differently. I think don't stop the music should wait until the middle of the previous track played before it starts adding stuff.

--

Michael