As a relative newbie with Spotify (but not with Squeezebox)  I finally
found this thread in my search to get get some reasonably Spotify
functionality on my SB, and It DID solve the problem. For the first time
ever I can run Spotify searches from my SB Duet controller and the SB
app on my iPhone.  Also, those controllers now actually show the same
display of Spotify albums as the SB server screen on my mac and the
actual home screen from my Spotify account.

There's one key step that I didn't find in this thread above (or wasn't
strongly emphasized)  probably because it's so elementary:  After I had
the triode app disabled and the protocol handler activated, my
controllers were still showing the old (orange) triode app icon and NOT
the Green Spotify app icon in the "My Apps" listing, even though the
green app was displayed on my server screen and was working on my mac to
select and play Spotify tracks.

YOU MUST RE-BOOT YOUR SQUEEZEBOX CONTROLLER  (and your iPhone, if you're
using the SB app there) before the changes you've made on the server
will show up. That means going all the way back to "restore factory
settings" on the controller and completely powering-down the phone.

This used to be so standard in keeping any computer running that you
didn't have to mention it, but modern apps and OSs have become so robust
we tend to forget. When in doubt, re-boot everything.