philippe_44 wrote:
> ...there are 2 reasons potentially for cutoffs.
>
> 1- underrun: Not sending fast enough, so the receiver is missing audio
> data. That would mean that either the network bandwidth is ridiculously
> low or that the bridge is not receiving enough computer CPU to send
> audio fast enough
> 2- overrun : Sending to much data (ie, assuming that the audio buffer in
> the device is big enough to hold 3s of data, but it's not) and so new
> audio data are constantly lost

philippe_44, thanks for your explanations.
Given your description, I suspected buffer overrun with the old AirTunes
device AppleTV 1 and tried to reduce the buffer size. I reduced it to
1000ms and ... bam! Perfect playback on the old AppleTV.
I did not push the binary search to define the exact value, but on my
wired device, the point where playback breaks up is above 2800ms and
below 2900ms.

So now the AppleTV1 works again as a squeezebox. Mystery solved. Very
cool!
I hope this saves you from ploughing through the packet captures I sent
you some days ago ;)

4 SB 3 • Libratone Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • Squeezebox Server
7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by
bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.