The thing that puts me off Airplay is everything has to be resampled to
44.1KHz. And since I listen to a lot of BBC iPlayer with bpa's Dash
compatible plugin, that's a lot of 48KHz content. Plus I have a working
Receiver and two more as backups in storage, so I don't need any of
these converting plugins at present.

But my reasons for not using AirPlay probably aren't representative of
the average non user.

So far of philippe's plugins, upnp/dlna seems to be a pain to set up
(and I can't recall if it does gapless); airplay resamples to 44.1KHz;
so if I needed one I'd look at chromecast and find out what I don't like
about that either (probably).

I have both an AirPlay (old single band model that plugs straight into
the wall for power) which I never use, and an Oppo 95 which I use for
Blu Rays/DVDs but I've never bothered with it's DLNA capabilities. If
someone else did the hard work of sorting out a config file for the Oppo
95 and confirming that both gapless and 96KHz playback worked (which my
Receiver can't do) I might look into it.