sst wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> you're right that I fixed an issue I shouldn't have ;-) but for whatever
> reason the DSM setup doesn't have a complete locale definition
> for LMS as otherwise it should switch to UTF-8 automatically (as does
> the shell when I log in).
Might be so. But if you install the Synology beta version of 7.9.0, it
will show UTF-8!
Only when install LmsUpdate it switches to ISO-8859-1. So it might be a
result of some commit made, after februari.

> What is even more surprising is that I never had this issue on my DS212
> but I didn't install this from scratch but rather did an upgrade to DSM6
>
> which might have retained some config details which are missing when
> installing from scratch.
>
> It would be great if you could fix this centrally so proceeding with
> fingers crossed that you'll find a way to do so.

Indeed, there is something different in the packages for DSM5 and DSM6
which might be also cause this 'fallback' to ISO-8859-1.
Unfortunately I'm away from home the next week. So it'll have to wait a
little to do some digging.

-Synology nas DS115 - ('LmsUpdate'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103636-Test-Repo-for-LMS-7-9-0-on-Synology-DSM-5-*&p=817970&viewfull=1#post817970))
-Raspberry PI2 (Max2Play), HifiBerry DAC+ (LMS/Squeezelite/Kodi)-
Cambridge Azur 840A - PMC GB1i
-2x Radio
-Laptop - openSUSE Tumbleweed - Squeezelite