OK, thanks.
After activating the logging of events and setting the player discovery
settings last option to "removed after 6 failed scans"  (instead of 3
previously) and deactivating your airply plugin, erasing and
regenerating the config file, all physical squeezeboxes and CCA's and
virtual HomeGroup finally re-appeared inside LMS.
I was able to use them between casting and using inside LMS. It is worth
noting that, when switching to Chromecasting inside spotify frequently
get no sound output. As soon as I slighly move the volume slider inside
Spotify, the sound comes 'to live' . I will test this some more with my
Pocket Casts App, because I don't think this has a volume slider in it.
Will keep you posted.