Hi Ruben,

The risk of #2 is that if anybody accidentally does anything with
the file, you might be screwed. It's also true you insert data in
RRD shortly after the file is created so the probability is slim.
But in this sense you can perhaps consider relying on file ctime
rather than mtime.

Relying on the file name is IHMO the way to go. Depending on how
you are inserting data in a RRD file, your option #1 looks OK to
me (granted that you define somewhere the config in use and parse
it accordingly - or more simply you define the step explicitely).