Hi Paolo,

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Paolo Lucente wrote:

On an unrelated note, how hard would it be to get the log message from ULOG stored in the database, for example in the classification field? I had a look through the code but I couldn't see any way to store this field from the received packet into the in-memory structure used to track flows.

For clarity: which log messages are you referring to? The original packet (portion) itself with (or without) ancillary netfilter structures? If yes - than that is not currently possible.

The log message is an option of the ULOG target in iptables. We use it to help us debug our QoS traffic classification by showing which packets have which classification:

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING "$@" -j CLASSIFY --set-class $class
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING "$@" -j ULOG --ulog-prefix $class
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING "$@" -j RETURN

This results in a class string such as "1:123" being included in the output of the ulogd user-space application which receives the logs:

  Jul 18 15:50:44 fen-fw2 1:123 IN= OUT=ppp0 MAC= SRC=10.0.156.131
    DST=176.58.108.189 LEN=52 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=54141 CE DF ...

This seems to come from ulog_packet_msg_t.prefix according to the ulogd 2 sources.

It's always possible to embed some data in some fields but the showstopper i see is an entry in the database has not 1:1 relationship with a single packet (portion): these should be concatenated or so (which i can anticipate is some work). What is the case study?

In our case, the classification could change mid-stream, as it depends on TOS flags and UDP packet sizes. I wonder whether it's possible to include the classification in the flow key in such cases, so we can separate out high and low priority traffic in the same stream and see how much traffic is being wrongly classified?

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK

with company number 04980791.