Dears,

First off, interesting discussion. Under the assumption we speak
libpcap and not NetFlow/IPFIX, I confirm, as it was already clear
from Slava and Chris emails, that there is nothing built-in to do
this in pmacct.

I see two possible avenues for this: a) go the classification way,
ie. most probably write a binary classifier (*) since regex would
not help with binary protocols (i've read DNS also) and is overall
pretty limiting. A new primitive, of type string, should be defined
to contain, say, URLs or DNS data. b) Slightly expand and leverage
the aggregate_primitives framework, active for libpcap and NetFlow/
IPFIX. See at this propo "examples/primitives.lst" (last couple of
examples) in the pmacct distribution tarball. The part to expand is
the support for variable-length jumps.

I'm happy to support on this (so for example to facilitate where to
start, how to make things consistent to the rest, etc.) but somebody
has to take the actual development, which is non trivial but does not
look like crazy amount either, on him - and hopefully contribute it
back to the community.

Look forward at your thoughts.

(*) http://www.pmacct.net/classification/pmacct-classifiers-20060321.tar.gz