Hi Pierre-Yves,

thanks for your suggestions.

On 28 May 2014, at 18:24, Pierre-Yves Maunier <pymaunier+li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - From the documentation I reasoned that pmacct/nfacct is able to handle
> IPFIX sampling. I use IPFIX sampling with a sampling rate of 10000. From the
> results I see (pmacct or prng) the sampling rate is not recognised by
> pmacct/nfacct. I also tried to configure the sampling rate by using the
> configuration key nfacctd_ext_sampling_rate which did not resolve the issue.
> Is there a know issue with recognising the sampling rate from the IPFIX data?
> Or did I miss how to configure pmacct/nfacct correctly?
>
> on my side I modify my sql queries to take our sampling rate into account :
>
> example : select round(SUM(bytes)*8000/300*8/1000000,2) AS mbps
>
> If I use a 8000 sampling rate, I just multiply the pmacct store value by 8000.
> I divide my 300 to have the number of bytes per seconds (My aggregation is
> done every 5 minutes)
> I multiply by 8 to have bits and not bytes
> And divide by 1000000 to have mbits instead of bits
>
> I can easily simplify the operations but in this example I kept it clear so
> it's easier to see.
I would prefer something that is done by pmacct because otherwise if the
sampling rates differs from port to port or router to router I have to cover
each case in the database. As the sampling rate is available in the IPFIX data
stream I would prefer if this data is recognised.

> - I would like to generate rrd files for traffic going in and out of a MAC
> address. I also would like to generate rrd files for the communication
> between a MAC address and another MAC address (in and out). The configuration
> of pmacct/nfacct is actually quite easy. However, I had difficulties to
> generate the rrd files. I tried pnrg version 0.1 which is from 2006 and not
> updated ever since. It also has problems with creating rrd files and graphs
> based on MAC addresses. So I assume there should be a better solution than
> pnrg to generate rrd files. What is the default way of generating rrd files
> using pmacct/nfacct (I saw the section in the FAQ talking about rrd files,
> but this is nothing I can use as I would like to generate thousands rrd files
> :-))?
>

> On our side we (one of my colleague did that actually) have collecd using the
> dbi plugin to generate RRD's using the results of SQL queries
> (https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:DBI)
>
> For instance we generate RRD's for all AS PATH which generate at least a
> certain amount of traffic (so I don't end up with a gazillion files).
>
> And when I want to draw the graph for a particular AS destination, I just
> stack all as-path rrd's ending by the AS in particular.
>
> Here is an example :
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqcp71epavci1iz/aspath_pmacct.png
>
> This graph clearly show when I setup a peering with AS XXX.
>
> (I have remove the name, scale and values of the AS Destination)
Thanks for the idea. We plan to generate about 100000 rrd files. So I am not
sure if this solution scales with our needs. We already did some MySql-pmacct
testing to test the scalability and it didn’t look too good. Currently our
preferred solution is to go with rrd files as we know from other systems that
working with 100000 rrd files is possible. Do you have experience with such
scalability demand?

Best regards,
Thomas