❦ 30 août 2017 13:58 GMT, Paolo Lucente <pa...@pmacct.net> :

> Fantastic, please proceed. I guess the patch should be wrapped around
> some version checking of libpcap a-la if greater or equal than current
> release in master then compile the code. I did jus review configure.ac
> and libpcap version is not captured plus i seem to read libpcap folks
> are anti pkg-config, that would have made things extremely simple. We
> may have to resort to something a-la MySQL (since they also do have a
> mysql-config thing and only in 5.7 added pkg-config support):
>
> https://github.com/pmacct/pmacct/blob/master/m4/ax_lib_mysql.m4

Another quick solution is to check PCAP_VERSION_(MAJOR|MINOR).

If you use autoconf, you can directly check for the existence of the
function, like this is already done with AC_CHECK_LIB (or you could use
AC_CHECK_FUNCS([pcap_set_protocol])).

In fact, after checking Lennert's patch, it's already done this way.
--
Make sure special cases are truly special.