What is the result? 'No records found'? or a PHP error (maybe in the error
log)?

You can display the query WHERE clause uncommenting the line 649 in
query.php (echo $this->qStr;) try to run this SQL then on your database
(adding the SELECT... FROM... before) and see if this query gives you any
results.

If it works but pmapper does not give any results, try to add the layer
without assigning it to a group, I don't know any more if attribute search
works really well on a layer that is part of a group.

armin