if that image has to be produced directly out of the application (i.e.
having access to all the definitions in the session), this function is
already there. It's the 'Download' button that opens a new window and
just adds the map image to it (before is a dialog to choose the
resolution, but one can skip that). The wole functions are in print.php
and download.phtml.

armin