If I will find some time I will have a closer look again to set up and
use SVN. But even in the case of an SVN "Write access to the SVN archive
will be provided to developers who are making frequent contributions to
the codebase." This is the usual policy how the SVN's I know are set up
(the quote comes from Postgis svn).

Until a svn exists, it's possible for users to provide me with
extensions, code, themes, etc. by mail. So far, this just happened once
(the second one was not really usable and implementable). In any case, I
found it normal that a contribution is discussed at least shortly before
sending it as zip file.

armin

ps: contributions to the p.mapper documentation were already possible
for everybody on the wiki since March, I haven't seen anybody writing a
single line for it... Ideas could be added and discussed since several
months.