Here is my 2c worth:

I think it is needed - for just the reason that Luca put forward.

At the moment I am working on a spatial data warehousing project for
agriculture - it is a distributed ap that will have 1000+ users.  At
this stage we are just looking at using pmapper for simple display but
in the future we will want users to be able to draw polygons, edit
layers and perform more complex queries.  We see the sense in
providing these functions in a collaborative way, so I will surely
follow any discussions along these lines.

Gabriel