Could you check if this problem still appears with the patch provided
some days ago by Alessandro Pasotti? It's available for p.mapper 3.1 at

http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/browser/pmapper/trunk/incphp/query/query.php

or just take the lines

$this->map->setSize($this->mapwidth, $this->mapheight);
$this->map->preparequery();

and insert them below line 190 in your query.php (below the line
starting with "$this->map->setExtent($this->GEOEX...").
If this solves your problem could you report this back to the list?

Armin