you need PHP 5 and whatever Mapserver version you want. So it should
work with the environment you mention. You just need the PEAR DB package
if you want to use XY-Layers or database joins for the query results.

I would recommend to use the latest dev version from the p.mapper
download site, it has some more bug fixes and new functions and I guess
I will release it soon as v3.1.

armin