These are just 'bogus characters' if your editor (and/or Unix shell) is
not capable of reading UTF-8 encoded text. But in the case of this file
it's no problem to have it in LATIN1 encoding.

You should change the setting of your Apache web server to use UTF-8 as
default encoding, otherwise Firefox will typically not recognize
correctly the pages as being encoded in UTF-8 and also stumble over the
'bogus characters'. See also here:
http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/wiki/FaqDebugging#Problemswithcharacterencodings

Since UTF-8 is the only encoding scheme that can handle special
characters of any kind I never test any other encoding setting. Pure
English applications might work with Latin1 settings, but you might
encounter problems like this sooner or later (that I will not discover).

armin